Unit 6 Blog 3



Unit 6 

Blog 3

TIP OF THE WEEK 

Check out this site for fun activities for our youngest learners. Simplicity is key!  https://hungrylittleminds.campaign.gov.uk/#3

                                                    Children using laptop at school design, vector illustration eps10 graphic

THOUGHT OF THE WEEK 

This week as we learn about DS (digital storytelling) and the benefits that is offers our classrooms, I had to take a step back and figure out how I can use this tool with barely 6 year olds. As we read about this week, digital storytelling strengthens communication, critical thinking and creativity and writing, while still being engaging and authentic for our students. I mean, what else can you really ask for? Alright, now stick with me as a I make way through my connection to my set Google Alert that really hit me in the heart this week. One of the alerts I set was language learners. It led me to an article titled, Tips to Fight the Fear of Being Laughed at. That title, right there, grabbed my attention real fast. Let me paint a picture for you that I found myself in this week with my tiny humans. One is my ELL student, we'll call him Tobi. The other student is an english speaking student, we'll call him Colt. 

Let me set the scene for you. Another kindergarten teacher recently had a baby. She teaches science to my kiddos so I thought it would be a sweet idea to put together a "Baby Advice Book" to help her smile on those tougher, new mom days. Students were working on finishing the following sentence: "I bet baby Lilly will laugh if you..." 

Here we go...

Colt: "I think Lilly will laugh if you...fart" 
Tobi: "What is fart?" (very visibly puzzled)
Colt: "What do you mean?" (just as puzzled)
Tobi: "I mean, what is fart?" (laughing)
Colt: "Uhhh...(lots of laughter). You know like break wind? Crop dust?"
Tobi: (face extremely puzzled still having 0 clue as to what Colt is talking about)
Colt: "Tobi!" (smiling)
Colt & Tobi: (lots of laughter and smiling)
Me: "OK boys...what's this I'm overhearing about bodily functions?"
   *They proceed to tell me what had happened and my immediate reaction is...laughter...especially at the crop dusting comment and recalling what their reactions were. 
Me: "Ok, so Tobi what Colt means when he says "fart" is when your bottom makes a noise and sometimes lets out a stinky smell" (me clearly making a terrible face)
Tobi: "Ohh...you mean passing gas...that's so gross Colt! But that would maybe make baby Lilly laugh". 
All 3 of us: (laughing and smiling)

Now, while this wasn't too "damaging" of an incident, it really opened my eyes to the different levels that language barriers present. Tobi very rarely asks what something means, especially since we are now further into the school year. Routines and funny sayings are second nature to him...even "fart" now. 

Let's get back to how this relates to my Google Alert for the week. As I said, language learners was one alert that I set. I came across this article titled Tips to Fight the Fear of Being Laughed at. I was drawn to it because that title simply pulls you in. After reading through this, I was immediately back in my classroom, visualizing the interaction between Colt and Tobi. Now, while this wasn't a huge deal...this is something that Tobi and other ELL students could and will face going through their schooling career. This fear could be very real for him and my other ELL students. 

This got me thinking about how DS and eliminating this fear could work hand in hand and help my L2 students become more accustomed to popular phrases and sayings. Students love technology and often feel more in charge of their learning when they are given the chance to be creative using apps they are familiar with. Our kids could create videos to help our L2 learners see and better understand phrases that are more popular, helping to eliminate that fear. Obviously, I would not encourage you to use "fart"...for the sake of everyone really. But I would encourage you to maybe use phrases you hear your kids saying regularly like, "what's up", "wanna hang","can you floss?", etc. It might be one of the worst days for your brain because of course, every terribly annoying saying will be stuck in your head BUT it would be the best day for your L2 learners and the fear they have of being laughed at for not knowing what something means or how to say it in the correct way. At the end of the day though, which is more important? Forcing yourself to participate in things you typically "ban" in your room and being on video? Or seeing the fear slowly disappear from your language learners faces? 

I say...get ready to floss (and not your teeth), hang ten, say "what's up" and hit the quan for the entire class period, for the sake of the DS and your students. I promise you, it'll be worth it. 



Image taken from: Richard. (2019, December 20). EdTech: The Benefits of Technology in the Classroom. Retrieved from https://www.customlogocases.com/blog/edtech-benefits/

Article link: Bryant, A. (2020, February 25). Tips to Fight the Fear of Being Laughed at. Retrieved from https://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/5278472.html

Comments

  1. Tierney,

    Not only is your article one that I just saved so I can take a look at it later, but I also have had and overheard similar conversations with my students. Thank you for sharing your anecdote. I find that since I am only in the building for ESL for half of my day (the other half I am at another school as a librarian), I feel like I don't have enough time to focus on regular phases like that with my students. (I don't actually work with them outside of their core class settings, either.) I will have to try to figure something out, because I think this could be important!

    Thank you for sharing,
    -SarahJean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very interesting to sit back and think about the popular sayings that are students regularly say and realizing "Oh, maybe we should explain that." Glad you took something away from this post!

      Delete

Post a Comment